Shropshire Outreach Worker
Autism West Midlands are the leading charity in the West Midlands for people on the autism spectrum. We use our expertise to enrich the lives of autistic people and those who love and care for them. Our passionate, expert staff and volunteers work across all age groups and abilities, providing direct support.
What we do
Our Shropshire Outreach Team supports autistic adults in the community, helping them to develop independent living skills and to access community activities. Typically, the people we support are living at home with parents or living independently in the community and are representative of the range of the autism spectrum.
We also have services in Shropshire and Telford offering advice, training and holidays activities to families and autistic adults.
- You will support autistic adults in the community, helping them to develop independent living skills and to access community activities.
- You will support a small number of people on an established weekly pattern, with sessions up to 6 hours in length. You will usually support one person per day, 2- 3 people per week.
- As this role is a member of a small team, we are looking for flexibility to cover staff holidays and sickness and there is the potential for additional hours in these circumstances.
Some role responsibilities include:
- Promote the involvement of the people we support in decision making around their own care and support in line with Mental Capacity and DoLS policy
- In partnership with the individual and their families develop person centred support plans
- Understand how autistic challenges affect them personally and ensure you respond appropriately to their needs as identified within their support plan.
- Keep accurate records, including records of progress towards goals
- Liaise with the individual’s family and professionals to ensure high quality support.
- Contribute to care reviews by attending meetings when required
- Follow health and safety procedures and risk assessments
- Report safeguarding and/or child protection issues that may arise directly to the appropriate agency in coordination with the Service Manager and together agree appropriate action
Skills and knowledge required
- Some knowledge of autism and how it affects individuals
- A flexible and adaptable approach
- Be self-motivated and able to work independently without direct supervision
- Ability to build positive relationships with the people we support and their families.
- Willingness to join indoor and outdoor activities such as long walks, swimming and gym sessions
- Have a non judgmental approach
- Ability to communicate clearly and effectively with a range of people
- Driver and car owner with business insurance
Location: As an outreach worker you will support individuals in various locations. People we support currently live in Shrewsbury & Wem, but we take referrals from across Shropshire & Telford.
We will try wherever possible to link you with people not too far from your home address and as a result are particularly looking for staff who live in North Shropshire or Shrewsbury.
However, we welcome applications from across Shropshire & Telford
We offer a number of benefits including:
- Pay is £10.42p to £10.98p per hour
- 5.6 weeks annual leave increasing yearly
- Free DBS check paid for by Autism West Midlands
- Free Bupa Healthcare cash back scheme
- Employee assistance scheme providing you support
- Specialist autism training you are paid to attend and travel to
- All staff are provided with a Life assurance
- Company Sick Pay Scheme
- A supportive management team
- £100 shopping voucher after 3-month probation
- Refer a friend scheme – £200 for each referral!
Both full time and part time positions
Closing date 23rd June 2022 at 5pm
For further details, a job description or more information about the responsibilities can be found at the Autism West Midlands website
We are looking to recruit a Shropshire Outreach Worker
Salary: £10.42p to £10.98p per hour
Hours: Part time and full time
The information that we receive from your CV is requested for the ‘Legitimate interest purposes.’ As an employer, we require the information contained within your CV in order to make a assess your suitability for the position. The information will be shared with HR team and recruiting Manager. Your CV will be deleted if it is not progressed past the shortlisting stage within 2 months of providing you with feedback